Sunday, August 9, 2009

Summer Closes

Right now, I miss Awana headquarters so much. I miss Bryce and Ariane, who basically became like brother and sister to me. I miss Dale and Luann. I miss Kevin. I miss Olive, and I miss Faith Baptist Church. I miss living in headquarters. I miss the fountain with the fish on the bottom floor, the grass behind headquarters, Kevin's bookcase, and drinking a bunch of cups of tea every day. I miss Art Rorheim, and I miss getting to hug him and give him a kiss. I miss hearing his stories from the early days of Awana, and listening to him recite entire chapters of Scripture at a time.

I am not really all that excited about going back to Baylor. Baylor is not yet home. I love Baylor, don't get me wrong. I love the campus and the people...but it's not home. I'm not sure it will ever be. Despite having spent more time in one month at Baylor then I have spent at Awana headquarters over my entire lifetime, if I could choose I would rather fly back to Chicago then go back to Baylor. Maybe that's just because my memories of Illinois are more recent. Maybe it's because I felt closer to the "real world" up at my internship than I do at college. Maybe it's because I belong in Chicago.

I am super excited about a couple things go. First and most obvious, I am excited about seeing friends like Jordan, Stephen, Taylor, Sarah, Mindy, Erika, Erica, Emma, Shane, Carroll, Landon, Katie, Tracey, etc., etc., etc., again. I am also excited because I found out that one of the pastors at my church is leaving Grace to teach at Baylor-and he teaches in Morrisson Hall, right next to the business school.

But what I am really excited about is starting classes for my new major. I am excited about learning all about business. And I am really excited to start learning things I can actually apply to life and to my future job.

I am excited because I think that this summer God handed me everything I ever really wanted. And I'm excited to see how my time at Baylor will prepare me to step out into the "real world" and take on the assignments that God is handing to me.

Baylor is not home. But it is a stepping stone to where I'm going. And for that, it will be a place I love and cherish always.

1 comment:

- Paul Hastings said...

It's good that you're keeping everything in perspective...