Sunday, September 6, 2009

Sing me sweet melodies of memories

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this...

I was listening to some music today, and a specific song came on. As I was listening, specific memories started popping up in my head...and I realized that there are a lot of songs in my life that have specific memories attached to them. Whenever I hear them, I will start thinking about specific events or people, or sometimes, just general seasons of my life. The reason will oftentimes be extremely random...

...for example, the song that prompted this realization was the song Forgiven by Relient K. As I was listening, images of my time at my internship up at Awana headquarters kept flashing through my head. When I hear that song, I think about Chicago, Awana, Northwestern, Bryce, Ariane...because one random evening, Bryce played the song on his laptop. I had only heard the song once or twice before, and as I listened I said "I recognize this song, but I can't place it." Bryce told me it was by Relient K...and from then on, that song brings back memories of Chicago.

There are other songs like that...My Savior, My God reminds me of Summit 2007 because that was the first place I heard it, Getting Into You by Relient K reminds me of Scholarship Camp 2005, Hey Stephen by Taylor Swift reminds me of my first semester at college (my sister randomly sent me the link to the song while I was away), Innocent Bones by Iron and Wine reminds me of spending time with Michelle in her apartment...

That was really random...anyone else experienced something similar?

3 comments:

Brenna said...

Summit 2008, Jacksonville, was my really really really tough year where I learned how to deal with losing. =P I was listening to a Superchic[k] song, Beauty From Pain repetitively just to keep myself from bawling the entire trip home. It was sappy and pathetic, but every time I hear it, I can imagine sobbing on my hotel bed in Florida.
When I hear "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams", or "21 guns" by Green Day literally ALL I can think of is my adopted baby brother Ron, who is also the best teammate I've ever had. We ran around singing Green Day intermittently through the Mission Trip at Awana Camp.

Shae said...

YES!! tons and tons of songs remind me of certain things....
Pieces by Red reminds me of a car ride from Houston to Austin in March '08 and Everything by Lifehouse reminds me of my first year at Camp Nikos. The other day I heard "Imagine Me Without You" by Jaci Velasquez and I almost cried because that used to me my favorite song when I was little and I would steal your CD's and listen to your songs.

Shaney Irene said...

You WOULD steal my CDs. :P