Sunday, September 21, 2008

Ballroom Dancing

"Dancing, dancing, dancing...Shaney, do you ever study?"

Well, believe it or not, I somehow ended up with all easy classes this semester. No joke, my workload is actually easier now than it was in high school. So the answer is, yes, I do study...but I also literally spend more time dancing than I do studying. No joke.

Last night there was a ballroom dance in Hewitt, which is about fifteen minutes from Baylor. Will picked me up at about 7:05 and we got there early, around 7:20-ish. We were the first ones from Baylor there. At about 7:40 they started the lesson, which was a few east coast swing moves. They were very fun and easy to learn. It helped that I got paired with Alex, who is a really good dancer. The lady teaching the lesson kept staring at me the whole time. At first I thought it was just me, but then Alex mentioned "She keeps staring at you." It made me a little nervous-was I doing something wrong? Or was it Alex? I thought he was leading me perfectly. But she never came over to correct us. Later that night, she came up to me and Shane after we had finished dancing one of the dances and commented that we were both really good. According to Shane, it's rare to get compliments like that. So that made me happy. :)
Shane and I dancing the tango.

After the lesson was the dancing. And then I realized that the majority of the guys we brought from Baylor were swing guys and knew none of the other dances. Some of the guys knew how to waltz, a few knew how to rhumba, a couple knew salsa...but that was pretty much it. Only two guys knew all of the dances-Shane and Matthew. I tried to avoid hogging Shane so that other girls could have a chance to dance with a guy who knew the dances, but I still believe I ended up dancing with him more than anyone else. Matthew was there with his partner, Alaena, and they are GOOD. Normally I'm not intimidated by guys who are better dancers than me, but for some reason I felt a little nervous about asking Matthew to dance, so I waited all the way until the last Rhumba. Looking back, I regret that a little bit. Matthew does more than just basic stuff, but I'm almost always able to follow him. I wish I had gotten in a salsa as well. Oh well.
Shane attempts to teach me a salsa move...it didn't quite work.

This dance was a little different from dancing in Ft. Worth because it seemed all of the older people had their partners that they danced with the entire night. I only got asked by two guys who weren't from Baylor to dance-the instructor asked me to dance a waltz, and another man asked me to dance a swing. So out of 34 dances, 32 of them were danced with Baylor people. Some of them I would just ask a random guy to dance and teach him the basic step for the dance. A couple of them I had no clue what the basic step was, so I just grabbed a guy named Austin and told him "I don't care what you make up, just do something." And he definitely didn't disappoint. Those dances were fun.

Afterwards we went to Dairy Queen and got food. Then Kevin, Will, and myself went with Katie to her apartment and played a game of apples to apples before heading home for the night.

I went home happy :)

No comments: