Friday, September 19, 2008

An Evening Full of Dancing

Thursday evening was an evening filled with dancing. If you know me, you know I LOVE dancing, and having an evening full of it made me very, very happy!

First was ballroom dancing at 6. We continued learning the rhumba and added on a couple moves. Jonathan Pinto came a little late, around 6:30-ish, after they had already finished teaching. So Shane gave him a one-on-one lesson, and had me come over and help him teach. So most of the class for me was spent between Jonathan and Shane. But it's alright, I still got to dance with a variety of guys. At the end of class, Shane decided he wanted to try the girl part, so I did the guy part. It was definitely weird, and I don't lead very well. Nevertheless, it was fun and entertaining. I can't wait to continue learning new dances.

Ballroom dancing ended at 7:45, swing was at 9. Several of the girls at ballroom had been wearing skirts and dresses, and I decided that I like the way their skirts flowed while they danced, so I went back to my dorm and changed into a dress. Swing dance was SO much fun. The teaching time hardly took any time at all, so there was a lot more time for dancing. I got to dance with a much wider variety of guys than usual. One guy commented that he really enjoyed when girls wore skirts while dancing and was happy that I had decided to wear one. It really is so much more fun to dance in a skirt. I think I'm going to make it a habit to wear a skirt or dress to swing dance.

After swing dancing myself, Johnny, Ashley, Richard, Andrew, Tracey and Grant went to Wild West for Grant's 22nd birthday. For those of you not living in Waco, Wild West is a country dancing club/bar. Grant and I got there first. Grant went up to the door, showed his ID to the bouncer, got his 21+ wristband, and walked inside. I got out my ID and showed it to the bouncer, then stuck out my hand, expecting him to take his permanent marker and mark a big X on my hand to show I'm under 21. Instead, the bouncer puts a 21+ wristband on me. I was way too surprised and dumbfounded to say anything. Before you ask: NO, I was not dressed like a slut. In all seriousness, I would be proud to meet the Lord Jesus Christ Himself in what I was wearing that night. NO, I did not flirt with bouncer in any way, shape or form. I don't even remember smiling. All I did was hand him my ID-which, by the way, has "Under 21" printed at the top and is lengthwise instead of widthwise. I honestly have no earthly clue why the bouncer decided to give me a wristband instead of an X. I'm not gonna lie, it was tempting to take advantage of the wristband and try a drink, but I decided against it. One, it would still be illegal, but two, the more pressing reason, I decided that I didn't want to try any alcoholic drink for the first time the night before an 8am class. I feel bad that that's the reason I decided against it, not because it would be wrong...oh well. Point is, I didn't try anything.

Anyways, Wild West was a lot of fun, although I've heard it's better if you go earlier. Apparently if you go before midnight, they will play all country songs, meaning you can actually do real dancing (two step, texas two step, and maybe swing) the whole time. After midnight they start playing rap and hip hop along with the country, which means that some songs you can't really dance-it's just a bunch of people grinding up on each other. Note to self: Next time you go to wild west, go earlier. The country dances were a lot of fun, especially with Grant. Grant and Richard also decided to try swinging to some of the hip hop songs, which was fun. I learned a new line dance. Johnny took Ashley and myself home at one.

I woke up this morning EXHAUSTED. I still managed to make it to my 8am class on time and not fall asleep, although I didn't get to eat breakfast beforehand. Luckily, my class got out REALLY early so I got to eat breakfast at Memorial before my 9:05 class. It was at breakfast when I realized just how tired I was when Shane came up beside me and said something to me, and I DIDN'T HEAR HIM. Nevertheless, I had an AMAZING time last night and wouldn't have chosen to do anything differently. I just need a nap...

No comments: