Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Something I've been contemplating...and I really want to know your thoughts

Where is "home"?

The answer to that question used to be easy. Home was wherever the people I loved were. Specifically, that meant Austin, TX.

But that definition isn't really working for me right now. My family is in Austin, and some of my best friends are there too. But now that I've basically established a completely different life for myself here in Waco, I've got a set of friends here that I know love me and accept me for who I am. They will be there for me when I need them, stick by my side when I'm going through a difficult time or simply riding a random girly emotional roller coaster, and sit down and have deep conversations with me. Jordan, Stephen, Taylor, Anna, Austin...they're all here.

When I'm in Waco, I miss my family and friends in Austin.
When I'm in Austin, I miss my friends from Waco.

So where is home? Is it Austin or Waco? Or do I have two homes? Or do I not have a home...?

I considered defining "home" as wherever my family is, but somehow now that I'm technically an adult and establishing my own life separate from my family, that definition doesn't quite seem appropriate.

Maybe I'm just stuck in this home-less phase until I get married, then "home" will be wherever my husband is.

I don't know...what I do know is that I am now really, really dreading moving to Dallas in 2010. Imagine, having THREE homes!

But in all seriousness...what is "home"? This is not a rhetorical question. I really want to hear your thoughts on this.

3 comments:

- Paul Hastings said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
- Paul Hastings said...

Home is where those who are closest to you reside.

So if the people closest to your heart and that you love the most would be your family, then home is where they are.

If a platoon in the military, or a squad of guys in Iraq is who you care about the most, then home is where they are.

But if God is truly the closest and dearest thing to your heart, then home is where He is. Which would be in your heart.

Wherever God has put you, that is where God wants you. And when you're following God, your heart will be at home.

Brian said...

Home... that's a "Waco" question. No...

In all seriousness, a song comes to my head (isn't that weird; that never happened before):

"If home is where my heart is, then I'm in heaven."

That sounds like a pretty good answer to me. Even if I can't remember who said that. The song was something like "when I see Jesus face to face, what could be better?"

Hopin' to see ya in Austin,
> < > Brian